Bay Street, Bellingham, 1300 block

Return to [Bay St index]

27. Holly/Bay/Prospect Building      (1912)  (Breier Building)

1302-1304 Bay St./2-8 Prospect St. The building is on the east corner of W Holly and Bay streets.
Built as combination office (second floor) and retail stores, this building exemplifies the replacement of older wooden buildings with more durable brick. The second floor was originally professional offices and later converted to the Breier Apartments. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.243-244.)

1302 Bay St

(Not researched for earlier dates.) 1965 Bob Loudon, insurance      1970 Albert Florence, architect    1975 Bay Trophies, sales             1980 R A Mezoff Bookseller, used      1985 Beverly’s Antiques              1989-90 Jacques, beauty shop                  1995 Tara Jeans, clothing retail

1304 Bay St

(Not researched for earlier dates.) 1965 1970 Brier Apartments, lodgings      1975 1980 1985 1989-90 1995 Brier Apartments, up to 9 listed

Link to description in Wisaard of the Brier Building
BAY_ST_1302-1304
4/13/2009

BAY_ST_1302.jpg
5/5/2013

PROSPECT_ST_2-8
4/13/2009
Return to [Bay St index]

28. The Home Store (1912)

1312 Bay St. between the Breier and Countryman buildings.
1312-1314 Bay Street

1913-1929, the Home Store (A. Lawson, proprietor) is the listed occupant at this location, specializing in men’s and women’s furnishings. By 1931, Grieff Brothers Furniture is recorded as the occupant of 1312 Bay Street, and Skaggs O P Grocery (Don J. Thurgood, Manager) is the occupant of 1314 Bay Street.  In 1935, Grieff Brothers Furniture occupies the 1312 site and NRS Grocery (Homer Nunamaker, Everett E. Rose and John O. Strubinger) occupy the 1314 site.  By 1940, Clarence Shaw’s Floral is located at 1312 Bay Street and NRS Grocery is still at 1314 Bay Street.  Grieff Brothers Furniture is now recorded at 1316 Bay Street which will expand into 1318 Bay Street by 1955.  In 1945, the State Liquor Board occupies 1312 Bay Street with the NRS Grocery still at 1314.  The liquor store continues at this site with McLeod’s Beverage Store joining adjacent in 1960.  1964 finds the same pair of occupants on this site. (Helgoe. 2012)

1312 Bay Street

1965, 1970, 1975 State Liquor Control Board-Store #5     1980 Vacant      1985 1989-90 Not listed      1995 Veco Engineering Corp (additional space) 

Link to detailed description of 1312 in Wisaard 

1314 Bay Street

1965 McLeod’s Beverage Store   1970 Mel’s Beverage Store          1975 Handi Market        1980 Levin’s Clearance Center     1985 1989-90 Not listed                     1995 Veco Engineering Corp

Link to detailed description of 1314 in Wisaard


BAY_ST_1312A
4/13/2009
BAY_ST_1312B
4/13/2009

BAY_ST_1312C.jpg.BAY_ST_1312D.jpg
5/5/2013
Return to [Bay St index]

29. Countryman Building (1904)

1316 Bay St
1316-1318 Bay Street
The 1905 city directory records The Racket Store, ladies and men’s furnishings (Lincoln C. Countryman, proprietor) at 1316, and Whatcom County Implement Co, harness and carriages (C.L. Orr, proprietor) located at 1318 Bay Street.  
        By 1910, 1316 becomes Countryman Dry Goods, and Whatcom County Implement moves to 1322 Bay Street with no information on 1318 Bay Street.  Countryman continues at 1316 into the early 1920s.  The 1913 Sanborn map designates the second floor as occupied by a business college, the exact name unclear.   
        In 1925, W.H. Cleaver Department Store appears at 1316 Bay Street with Thomas A. Horn as manager.  This business becomes Horn-Whitson Co. dry goods until 1935 at 1316-1318 Bay Street when the site is then listed as vacant.   Hale’s Women’s Clothing (Herman Hurwitz, manager) appears at 1316 Bay Street in 1936 with 13181/2 being designated as the LC Countryman Building with eight offices upstairs, mainly occupied by music teachers.  
        By 1940, Grieff Brothers Furniture occupies the ground floor of 1316-1318 Bay Street with the second floor of the LC Countryman Building occupied by offices and residential.  This scenario continues through 1964. (Helgoe, 2012)
Link to detailed description of 1316-18 in Wisaard

1316 Bay Street

1965-1990 Not listed      1995 Veco Engineering Corp in rooms 203-214 (additional space)

1318 Bay St

1965 BB Furniture, used             1970 The Iron Bull, restaurant     1975 Vacant      1980 Bungalow Furniture; Hello Deli       1985 Alladins Lamp Antique Mall; Ami’s World Cuisine Deli     1989-90 Antique Gallery; Upper Vacant   1995 Antique Gallery



BAY_ST_1316A
4/13/2009
BAY_ST_1316B
4/13/2009

BAY_ST_1318.jpg
Remodelled to house the Pickford Film Center.  Taken 5/5/2013
Return to [Bay St index]

25. Flatiron Building  (1907-1908) B.B. Furniture Building

1311-1319 Bay Street
The building occupies the triangle created by the intersection of Prospect, Bay, and W Champion streets.
Federal and Local Landmark status.
BAY_ST_1311-1319A
4/13/2009
Entry from Bellingham City web site:

            While the Flatiron Building has been a Bellingham landmark for almost seventy years, it received Federal Landmark status in 1983 and, even more recently, Local status in 1994. Upon construction, it was one of the first reinforced concrete buildings in the city, and was also the tallest until 1926.
The triangular "flatiron" type of building was quite popular among American architects in the first decade of the twentieth century. Daniel Burnham"s 1902 Flatiron building in New York was the inspiration for many, including the one in Bellingham. The style was particularly fashionable in cities that have odd shaped blocks varying from the traditional grid system.

The Flatiron Building was erected for the Bellingham Bay Furniture Company; one of the city's oldest furniture firms established by T.S. Hamilton in 1889. During the early part of this century, the company was one of the largest and best known on Puget Sound. Previously, the Bellingham Bay Furniture Company had two locations; one of which was in the old Bellingham Hotel. After the Flatiron building was completed in 1908, the Bellingham Bay Furniture Company moved in, remaining there until 1978.

Precautions were taken to minimize the high fire risk that furniture manufacturing has. A system of internal water piping was installed, and each floor was equipped with fifty feet of fire hose. A special "fireproof" room was built for the varnish room, which is the most flammable part of the manufacturing process. The impressive blaze that severely damaged the Flatiron Building in 1924, forcing a vent through one of the elevator shafts to the roof, made these measures appear futile. Repairing the damage took several years, when the building re-opened in 1927 a water tank and an internal sprinkler system were added.

After the Bellingham Bay Furniture Company left the building it sat vacant until renovations were completed in 1990. The renovations left original glass panes along the north wall of the building and used them in re-lights along the west and east interior walls; allowing the flow of natural light to reach the entire floor. Afterwards, the Flatiron building received an Award of Outstanding Merit, recognizing the owner's accomplishments in maintaining the integrity of the original design.

The Flatiron building architecturally dominates its neighborhood due to its size and unique shape and is a distinct visual feature of the central business district. Accordingly, the present occupation of the Flatiron building by Veco Engineering has energized the entire neighborhood.

BAY_ST_1311-1319B.BAY_ST_1311-1319C
View from the corner of Prospect and Bay.         4/19/2009        Plaque by door.

BAY_ST_1311-1319D.BAY_ST_1311-1319E
Views from Prospect St.    4/19/2009
Return to [Bay St index]