In 1895, the Aftermath Reading Circle began primarily as a literary and social club organized by a group of New Whatcom women. The name was suggested to indicate "a second gleaning." The organization provided opportunities for socializing and intellectual broadening as well as actively participating in community affairs. The Aftermath Club raised money for the new YMCA and offered an annual prize of $25 for the town's "most improved lawn."
When the reading circle became the formal Aftermath Club the members
the opportunity to build a clubhouse. The structure they built in 1904
estimated to be the first women's clubhouse in
Along with its significance in local history, the Italian Villa
architecture of this two-story wood frame clubhouse is notable. This
building, common in the east, is relatively rare in the
The Broadway Hall is owned and operated by Westford Funeral Home. The hall has been renovated and upgraded to reflect its original character, and is available for weddings, funerals, parties, dances and community events. It has over 5,000 square feet of space available for rent and is listed on the National and State Historic Registers.
Co-owner of the Bellingham Bay Quarry, Charles I. Roth, son-in-law
Roeder, supplied much of the burned down
The building constructed in 1890 was named The Lottie Roth Block after Charles' wife. The south and east exterior walls are constructed of Chuckanut sandstone, the north and west walls are brick, and the interior is wood. Upon the building's completion a bank occupied the first floor, while the top two floors were rented as office space.In February 1891 the two towns of Whatcom and New Whatcom merged, shifting the location of new construction from the west of Whatcom Creek to the east. By 1895, the Lottie Roth Block was isolated from the developing downtown area. Following the bank's vacation of the first floor in 1896 the Imperial City News moved in. The newspaper failed soon afterward, and the building then became the Chuckanut Hotel. The Lottie Roth Block became apartments in 1918, and it continues that use today.
The list of changes made to this building are few, and include, creating more apartment units by diving the high ceilings, which required replacing the first floors large plate glass windows. An interior feature of interest is the remarkable original woodwork of the banisters and railings that are highlighted by three large skylights.
Fearing raids from the British Columbia Indians early
Pickett's house was a simple two-story building composed of undressed planks. The main section of the house measured only 15 feet wide and 25 feet deep. The first floor was composed of two rooms and the second floor, reached by ladder, had two bedrooms. A lean-to on the west side of the house contained the kitchen and dining room. A fireplace made of stick and mud heated the house. The first room in the house became Pickett's study, where he conducted much of his official business.
During his stay, Pickett married an Indian woman who gave birth to a
James Tilton Pickett, in 1857. The mother died when James was still a
he was sent to live with friends in
Pickett's house has changed ownership many times. Hattie Strothers, who lived there from 1889 until her death in 1939, deeded the house and property to the Washington State Historical Society in 1936. After her death the Pickett House became a historical monument and was later placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Numerous changes have been made to the Pickett house yet much of it
in the original state. Most of the improvements have made the house
livable, including the rear addition of a new kitchen. The lean-to has
converted into a caretaker's apartment, the front study is now a living
and a narrow stairway has replaced the ladder to the second floor.
modifications are the glassed-in front porch and shingled exterior. The
House still serves as an excellent example of
The passenger station built by local architect F. Stanley Piper, who created many other buildings of national historic significance, blends a Spanish tile roof with raised tendrils and Corinthian capitals for ornamentation. Three semicircular arches on the street side entrance, greeted people into the waiting room. The interior of the passenger station included wrought-iron chandeliers hung from a high, beamed ceiling. Great Northern often used an Indian motif in the design of their buildings, in this Passenger Station the motif can be found along the four wooden girders. The wings off of the waiting room originally held the agent's office, the baggage and express services and the ladies retiring room.
Great Northern Railroad utilized the station until 1969 at which
Burlington Northern began operating from this site. In the early 1980s
station was still used for passenger service by Amtrak, which now
During the height of the
The tent-city that had been thrown up on
The county used the building as a courthouse until 1884 when a new
constructed. In the early 1880's the courthouse was seriously
Frequently, prisoners had to be sent to
Aside from replacing the original flat roof with a gabled one and
more ornate gabled false front, the actual structure has seen little
its simple pioneer style. However, due to the creation of E Street that
required filling in a section of