Historic resources. Buildings 31-35
Return to [Historic Resources list] or
[Historic Resource map]
31. Clover Block (1899)
201-207 West Holly St. Corner of West Holly and Commercial streets.
Named after a poem "Four Leaf Clover" by Ella Higginson, wife of one of
the investors. Used initially as professional offices, it was then used
by Bellingham National Bank from 1905-1913. It was remodeled in 1945,
losing its original ornate cornice. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.105-107.)
32. Red Front Block (1900)
200 West Holly and 1300-1303 Commercial St.
Built for Samuel Altshuler for his clothing store. The upper floor was
originally professional offices, since housing the Savoy Hotel
apartments. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.109-110.)
206-212 W Magnolia St., 1401-1415
Commercial St., with W Champion St. at the rear.
In the triangular wedge of Champion, Magnolia and Commercial St
115-121 W Magnolia St.
Corner of Commercial and Magnolia St.
114 W. Magnolia
Federal and Local Landmark status.
Entry from Bellingham City web site:
Left front is on Commercial St., the right on Magnolia St.
The Montague & McHugh building was constructed in an era of
prosperity and a local upward economic trend. Soon after, however, the
Depression struck and the building was forced to close. The history of
Montague & McHugh building has closely reflected Bellingham's
overall land use pattern of original use, vacancy and adaptive reuse.
The partnership of Montague & McHugh began in 1890 with their
store located in the former town of New Whatcom.
Their new five-story department store located in downtown Bellingham
included retail facilities a tearoom and a ballroom, the latter two
for public use. The spectacular ballroom was one of six in the United
States that included a Zenithern
considered the finest type for dancing. The architect for this
centerpiece was John Graham Sr. who, in addition to being Ford Motor
designated architect, designed many buildings in Seattle
and in countries around the world. Several other structures Graham
on the National Register of Historic places.
The Montague & McHugh
is in the Neoclassical Commercial style, discernible from the curious
fenestration pattern carried out on three elevations. Originally, a
an arched entryway distinguished the outside of this structure's
base. Elaborate spiral columns support the pediments and the window
still remain are made of wood.
While the exterior is presently similar to when the building opened
marvelous interior lasted little more than a decade. During WWII the
the structure was completely gutted, ballroom and all, and used as a
casing factory for the Boeing Company. Since 1991 the Montague &
building has been used for office space by Crown
Plaza. In 1993 the Crown
Corporation was approved for local historic designation after carefully
undergoing costly rehabilitation measures earlier that year. The
McHugh building is uniquely connected with Bellingham's
past and will continue to be a distinctive visual feature into the
Commercial St. view. The "windows" on the left wall are artistic
Return to [Historic
Resource map] or [Historic
Resources list] or [W Magnolia St]
or go on to [Buildings