Historic resources. Buildings 36-40
Return to [Historic Resources list] or
[Historic Resource map]
36. Carnegie Library Comfort Station
109 West Champion St.
Built in 1928 for $15,000 is the new City Comfort
(Bellingham Herald, June 2, 1928). This
facility was in use until 1954.
In 1956, Carter’s Real Estate
(Theodore R. Carter) is
this building and continues into the 1960s. (Helgoe, 2012)
4/18/2011 became the James Place Child Development Center.
1301-1307 Cornwall Ave. at corner of 100 block of W. Holly St.
W Holly St. view.
38. Federal Building (1912-1913)
100-106 W Magnolia St.
Federal Landmark status.
Entry from Bellingham City web site:
Magnolia St. view. 4/14/2009
View from corner of Cornwall Ave.
In 1911 the government purchased a site that was originally a sandstone
for the location of the Bellingham
and had to excavate four
feet below the sidewalk. Construction on the three-story detached
ultimately costing $284,000 an immense amount of money for the time,
1912. Initially, the Post Office occupied both the building's basement
first floor while the second floor held a range of activities such as
District Court, Department of Justice, Customs, and the U.S. Marshall's
The third floor was partitioned into offices for other governmental
including the Mount Baker National
Architecturally, the building is of the same Second Italian
style that inspired the design of Old Main for the Normal School. The Federal
Building has a long list of
features that are typical of the Italian Renaissance architecture. For
it has a steel frame covered with stone masonry. Other examples include
unpolished exterior of the first floor masonry, the round arches,
medallions, carved lion's heads on the keystones, and decorated
square hipped roof is reminiscent of an Italian piazza. The building is
excellent condition, practically unchanged.
Apparently, there was a small controversy over the Federal
Building's design and Bellingham's
postmaster, Hugh Eldridge, is believed to have made several
the original concept. When the Federal
Building was completed on May 1, 1913 it was thought to
only structure of its kind in the United
with the main entrance at sidewalk level rather than at the top of a
stone steps. The building is still used for Federal purposes. The Post
inhabits its original home on the first floor, the IRS and Customs
located on the other floors.
1411 Cornwall Ave.
1415-17 Cornwall Ave