Historic resources. Buildings 46-50

Return to [Historic Resources list] or [Historic Resource map]

46. BPOE Building - Elks Club (1912)

1414 Cornwall Ave
Federal and Local Landmark status.
CORNWALL_AVE_1414A
4/17/2009
Entry from Bellingham City web site:

Bellingham's first members of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks' held their meetings in private homes, then began renting various rooms available in the city and finally built this two-story brick clubhouse in 1912. Built in the second major real estate boom, along with the Federal Building and Citizen's Dock, the Elks club is one of downtown Bellingham's finest formal street fronts. The Elks Club is also significant as a monument to the importance of fraternal clubs in the early 20th century.

The architect, William Cox, was praised for designing the most handsome fraternal lodge in the state. The vivid street front facade is composed of blond brick framed with a light stone arch, uncommon in the usually dark Romanesque style, with sandstone steps leading up to it. Originally, the offices were located on the first floor and a large meeting room and a kitchen were on the second. In the basement, a member could play card games, pool, or even bowl.

The BPOE building had its interior extensively remodeled in 1938 adding a marquee with an Art Moderne flair. The bowling alley was removed in the late 1940's and in 1960 the kitchen was moved to the first floor. In 1971 the Elks sold this lodge and relocated to a clubhouse along Samish Way. Within a year the building sat empty, continuing for five years. Beginning in 1976 the BPOE building has housed a variety of different uses, including a dance studio.

Surprisingly, the changes made to the interior of the Elks club did not significantly effect the exterior. The ornate cornice still bears the building's name and the construction date, the second floor windows have retained their unusual arches and the white columns and trim still accentuate the light brick facade.

CORNWALL_AVE_1414B
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Cornwall Ave]

47. Washington Grocery Building (1912)

1133 Railroad Ave.
Federal and Local Landmark status.

Entry from Bellingham City web site:

This three-story warehouse was built by Stephen Glascock, founder of the Washington Grocery Company, in 1912. He served as President of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and was very instrumental in obtaining wholesale railroad rates for Bellingham.

Over the year, the Washington Grocery building has undergone only minor remodeling renovations including changes to the loading dock doors, loss of a suspended canopy, and the removal of a stairway tower on the roof.

RAILROAD_AVE_1133A
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1133B
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1127-1135.jpg
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Railroad Ave]

48. Horseshoe Café Building

113 East Holly St.
Opened in 1886 across the street, where the Bank of America now is. Moved to current location in an existing building in 1958.

 HOLLY_ST_E_113A
4/17/2009
HOLLY_ST_E_113B
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [E Holly St]

49. Sanitary Meat Market (Bagelry)

1319 Railroad Ave
RAILROAD_AVE_1319A
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1319B
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Railroad Ave]

50. Bellingham Candy Co. (1910)

1321-1327 Railroad Ave
The Bellingham Candy Company was first located on State St. before construction of this simple "Chicago style" brick building that contrasted with the earlier more highly decorated commercial buildings. The candy company shared the first floor with Thomas Graham, a wholesale tea and coffee merchant. The upper floor was divided into rooms to let for workers in the logging and fishing industries.
(Turbeville, 1977, pp.233-234.)
RAILROAD_AVE_1321-1327A
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1321-1327B
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Railroad Ave] or go on to [Buildings 51-55]