Historic resources. Buildings 56-60

Return to [Historic Resources list] or [Historic Resource map]

56. Northern Grocery Co. (1909)

1204-1206 Railroad Ave
Originally built to house the wholesale grocery company and faced the railway tracks with a branch track in the alley behind. The Northern Grocery Company continued to use this as their headquarters until the mid 1930s when it was sold to Bellingham Transfer, a moving and storage firm. Since 1940 it has been owned variously by a beer wholesaling company, Crown Distributing, and the Bargreen and von Bargen restaurant supply business.
(Turbeville, 1977, pp.221-222.)
RAILROAD_AVE_1204A
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1204B
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Railroad Ave]

57. Spokane Block    (1902)     (Hohl’s Feed and Seed)

1322-1324 Railroad Ave.
Originally the feed store of Donley and Farley, with the upper floor as Spokane House with rooms to let. Later became the Ideal Hotel, then taken over by Hohl's Feed and Seed, a firm founded in Fairhaven before the turn of the century. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.139-140.)
RAILROAD_AVE_1322-1324
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Railroad Ave]

58. Curt Pless & Co. Building

1330 Railroad Ave
RAILROAD_AVE_1330A
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1330B
4/17/2009
RAILROAD_AVE_1330C
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [Railroad Ave]

59. Northern Pacific Rail Freight Depot    (Whatcom Transit Authority Bus Depot)

203  East Magnolia St.
At the time of writing, the building was vacant "with no immediate plans for leasing....".  The original building was constructed in 1911 as the freight and passenger terminal for the Great Northern Railroad that had taken over the old Bellingham Bay and Eastern Railroad. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.237-238.) The current building was renovated in 2008.
MAGNOLIA_ST_E_203A
4/17/2009
MAGNOLIA_ST_E_203B
4/17/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [E Magnolia St]

60. Daylight Building (1904)

1205-1207 North State St.
Federal and Local Landmark status.
STATE_ST_N_1205-1207A
View across State St.  4/19/2009

Entry from Bellingham City web site:

This building was built in 1904, and designed by a local architect named Frank C. Burns who also designed the Aftermath Club on Broadway and Holly and the Alaska Building, which burned down in 1969.

The offices in the  Daylight Building were converted to apartments in 1918. Although fires significantly damaged the interior in 1926 and 1928; the exterior made from local brick and Chuckanut Sandstone, remained solid, symmetrical, and attractive.

This building exemplifies the cultural, social, and economic history of Bellingham. Throughout the century-plus that the Daylight Building has stood as a landmark, it has served many different uses. It has housed professional offices, a Union office, antique shops, a photographer, several music teachers, and a furrier. It has also held apartments, a car repair/gas station, taverns, restaurants, newspapers, printers (including Union Printing), Griggs Stationary, grocers,   a cinema, a bookstore, sauna/spa/hairdressers,  Montgomery ward, as well as, many other retailers.

STATE_ST_N_1205-1207B
4/19/2009
STATE_ST_N_1205-1207C
View south along State St. 4/19/2009

STATE_ST_N_1205-1207D
View from corner of Chestnut and State. 4/19/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [N State St] or go on to [Buildings 61-65]