Historic resources. Buildings 61-65

Return to [Historic Resources list] or [Historic Resource map]

61. Dahlquist Building (1905)

1311-1313 North State St
Erected for Thomas S. Dahlquist's Bellingham Bay Grocery Company with rooms to rent on the upper floors. This was one of the first reinforced concrete buildings erected in Bellingham. The south side, 1311, was the grocery store, and the north side, 1313, was converted into a garage and auto dealership operated by Dahlquist and W.H. Waples. The basement was converted to hold up to 30 cars. The only modifications have been to the first floor; the red brick belonged to the building next door that was demolished after a fire. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.177-178.)

STATE_ST_N_1311-1313A
Deleted sign says Hotel Laube.
4/19/2009

STATE_ST_N_1311-1313B
4/19/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [N State St]

62. Betschart Block (1900)

1315 N State St

Built by two Swiss brothers who operated the first floor as the William Tell Bar, with the upper floor serving as the William Tell Rooms boarding house. Variously occupied by a plumber, then vacant, now the Beaver Inn tavern. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.111-112.)
STATE_ST_N_1315
The red building. 4/19/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [N State St]

63. Puget Sound Power & Light Building

1329 N State St.
STATE_ST_N_1329A
View across from the corner of Magnolia and State. 4/19/2009

STATE_ST_N_1329B
View across State St. 4/19/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [N State St]

64. 20th Century Bowling Building

1411 N. State St.
STATE_ST_N_1411A
4/19/2009
STATE_ST_N_1411B
4/19/2009
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list] or [N State St]

65. Fussner Monument Building (1922)

1431 N State at corner with E Champion (corner unit not occupied or numbered.)
STATE_ST_N_1431A
The monument store is now gone; the building was remodeled in 2008. 4/19/2009

STATE_ST_N_1431B
4/19/2009 

STATE_ST_N_1431c.jpg
On 4/9/2011 the corner store is now Bellingham Music Store.
Return to [Historic Resource map] or [Historic Resources list]  or [N State St] or go on to [Buildings 66-70]