Historic resources. Buildings 66-70
Return to [Historic Resources list] or
[Historic Resource map]
66. Hotel Laube/Windsor
1226-1230/1218 N State St.
Hotel Laube has Federal Landmark status.
Considered the finest and most modern
hotel in New Whatcom when built, it operated for 75 years as a hotel,
then apartments. The first floor was first the hotel restaurant, later
Otto's Restaurant, then a furniture store, and now a tavern and
pizzeria. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.115-116.)
314 E Holly St.
68. Old YMCA
311 E Holly St.
The first meetings of the YMCA were in 1889 and the organization
occupied the Union Block at C and Holly streets. They moved to this
building in 1906. It had a gym at the rear in the basement and first
floor, offices at the front of the first floor, and apartments on the
upper floors. The organization moved to the bigger building across the
street in 1942 and eventually sold this building to the International
Order of Odd Fellows. The only major change to the building has been
converting the gym to a meeting room and aligning it with the rest of
the first floor. (Turbeville, 1977,
County Rail & Light
Power Station (1908-1912) (Construction
201-205 York St. on corner with Railroad Ave.
After the consolidation of the Whatcom and Fairhaven streetcar lines in
1902, electricity was provided by the Kentucky St. power station and
the Nooksack Falls station. These proved inadequate, so this building
was constructed to provide power to the streetcars and the city. By
1910 a 2500 HP steam engine was producing 2000 Kw of electricity.
Later, the successor company, Puget Sound Traction, Light and Power,
built a large transformer station adjacent to the power station.
(Turbeville, 1977, pp.217-219.)
70. Masonic Hall, Scottish Rite Temple (1905)
1101-1107 N State St.
The Masons were established in Bellingham in 1883 and used a building
at C and Dupont. They built this structure as a commercial
establishment, reserving the upper floors to themselves. The original
tenant for the first floor was a drugstore (the stucco on the lower
left results from this use), followed by a print shop that continued to
1940 when the masons occupied the entire building. The vertical
decorations at the top are painted cast iron, and the two first floor
pillars represent an Egyptian motif. (Turbeville, 1977.)