Other buildings on the local registry

Return to [Historic Resources list]

1. Sanitary Meat Market  (1902)

1015-1019 N. State St.
(Not to be confused with #49, now the Bagelry.)
Entry from Bellingham City web site:

The Sanitary Meat Market, located at 1017 North State Street, was built in 1902. This regional business processed and sold meat for over 65 years. During this time, the business successfully underwent three major additions. In 1915, a rear addition and a second floor residence were built. In 1936, a one-story addition to the south (1015 N. State) and in the late 1950's or early 1960's a garage in the rear were added. Although the Sanitary Meat Market was was profitable enough to pay for three major additions, distribute product to three different counties, market multiple meat products, and adjust to customer demand; it was forced to it's doors in 1967, as larger grocery stores became more efficient at processing meat.

Although this building may appear to be plain, there are three different architectural styles present. The oldest part of the building, built around 1902, is made of a simplified brick Richardsonian design. The first addition, done in 1936, is made of a simplified stucco Art Deco style; while the final addition, done in the late '50's or early '60's, reflects that of utilitarian style. The form of this building shows how the economy determines the buildings we see, and how these buildings influence our cultural and society. This building contributes to the physical scale and character of Bellingham's downtown area, and the age of the building alone confirms that this has been a viable commercial area for more than a century.

STATE_ST_N_1015-1019A.jpg
View along N State St from recent condos, Keystone Building (2004), to the Sanitary Meat Market, Sweet & Co., and Morse Hardware. The gap beyond is now filled with The Atrium, 1031 N State St.

STATE_ST_N_1015-1019B.jpg
Sanitary Meat Market. 1013 N State. (Photo 2004)

STATE_ST_N_1015-1019C.jpg
1017-1019 S State. (Photo 2004)

STATE_ST_N_1015-1019D.jpg
Taken 2009.

Return to [Historic Resources list]

2. Sweet and Company

1021 N State St.

STATE_ST_N_1021A.jpg
Taken 2004.

STATE_ST_N_1021B.jpg
Taken 2009.

Return to [Historic Resources list]

3. The Barlow Building

211 W Holly St.
HOLLY_ST_W_211A.jpg
The Barlow Building next to Bellingham Harware--formerly Northwest Hardware (#26 of Historic Resources.)

HOLLY_ST_W_211B.jpg

HOLLY_ST_W_211C.jpg.HOLLY_ST_W_211D.jpg

Return to [Historic Resources list]

4. YWCA  Building (1915)

1026 N Forest St.

FOREST_ST_N_1026A
Entry from Bellingham City web site:

The YWCA building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Seventy years earlier, in 1906, the first Young Women's Christian Society in Bellingham was initiated. For the first few months the society met in private homes, after that they rented a room in the public library. They still struggled for a permanent location after the association's first project, to create a summer camp at Ramona Park on Lake Whatcom, proved the society a success.

Eight years later in 1915 the YWCA moved into this gracious brick building that was given to the organization as a gift from Mrs. Charles X. Larrabee and her daughter Mary. Local clubs, businesses and individual citizens donated interior furnishings. At the time, the YWCA had the distinction of being the only club in Bellingham, Seattle, and Portland to own their own building.

The large airy rooms and spacious dining room contribute to the excellence of this three and one half story building. A small swimming pool and a heating plant are located in the full, concrete faced basement. A hipped roof tops the red brick exterior with two large brick chimneys at either end.

The overall style of the YWCA Building is Georgian Revival, a popular architectural form for public buildings in the early 20th century. Other distinctive features include the floor to ceiling windows on the first floor, the entrance porch with white columns, the small eyebrow windows on the top floor and the decorative brackets under the overhanging eaves.

FOREST_ST_N_1026B.jpg
View south from the corner of E Maple and N Forest.

Return to [Historic Resources list]