In 1895, the Aftermath Reading Circle began primarily as a literary and social club organized by a group of New Whatcom women. The name was suggested to indicate "a second gleaning." The organization provided opportunities for socializing and intellectual broadening as well as actively participating in community affairs. The Aftermath Club raised money for the new YMCA and offered an annual prize of $25 for the town's "most improved lawn."
When the reading circle became the formal Aftermath Club the members
the opportunity to build a clubhouse. The structure they built in 1904
estimated to be the first women's clubhouse in
Along with its significance in local history, the Italian Villa
architecture of this two-story wood frame clubhouse is notable. This
building, common in the east, is relatively rare in the
The Broadway Hall is owned and operated by Westford Funeral Home. The hall has been renovated and upgraded to reflect its original character, and is available for weddings, funerals, parties, dances and community events. It has over 5,000 square feet of space available for rent and is listed on the National and State Historic Registers.