West Holly Street, Bellingham, 400 block

Return to [W Holly St index]

West Holly Street, 400 block, NE side

PROSPECT_ST_101C
Rear view of  101 Prospect St. from W Magnolia St and W Holly St. 5/2/2009

HOLLY_ST_W_400
400 W Holly St. Also rear view of  101 Prospect St. 5/2/2009
400 W. Holly  
It is unclear if the current structure at this location is the original, largely remodeled or an entirely new building.  The first documented use was as a service station in 1930, Payton and Rose Super Service Station.  In 1931, it became Archie C. Manley Gas and Oil and in 1932, a gas station owned by William D. James. 
        Beginning in 1933, there is no record of this address until 1967 with Sands Pontiac (Clinton R. Sands, owner). (Helgoe, 2012)

1965 Not listed              1970 Sands Pontiac    1975 Thurmond Tire Wholesalers Inc           1980 Village Buick Pontiac   1985 1989-90 1995 Boss Tweed Restaurant

Return to [W Holly St index]

West Holly Street, 400 block, SW side

14. Wilson Business College      (1905)

401-407 W Holly St.
The building was located behind the blue fence in the picture above.
Prof Augustus Wilson established the first business school at Lynden in 1891, and opened the Northwest Business College in New Whatcom in 1895, moving to the upper floor of  this location in 1908 and changing the name to Wilson Business College and remaining until after World War I. The lower floor was occupied by a variety of retail establishments, and in the 1930s the upper floor was converted to a meeting room for the Woodmen of the World. Later the building was used as a second-hand furniture store--the Martin's Center, named for its owner, Mildred Martin. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.181-182.)

401 W. Holly:  1965 1970 1975 The Martin’s Center, used merchandise 1980 1985 Heartwing, jewelry & gems 1989-90 Y’s Buys Thrift Shop 1995 Wise Buys, thrift shop

403 W. Holly:  1965 Mrs. Mildred Martin ® 1970 Not listed 1975 Margaret Van Winkle 1980 a. Ruth Jones; b. Photocopia, dark room rentals 1985 a. Vacant; b. Photocopia 1989-90 a. T Norris; b.  Heartwing, jewelry & gems 1995 a. Vacant; b. Heartwing

405 W. Holly:  1965 1970 Vacant 1975 Martin’s Center, annex 1980 Vacant 1985 Our Place, antique & secondhand 1989-90 Cyrano’s, antique dealer 1995 Geewillikers, antique dealer

407 W. Holly:  1965 1970 Vacant 1975 Martin’s Center, annex    1980 1985 1989-90 1995 Pink Flamingo, second hand store

HOLLY_ST_W_401-407
401-407 W Holly St. 5/2/2009

The buildings of 401-411 were destroyed by fire on March 1, 2010. The fire started at about 3.00 am.

HOLLY_ST_W_401-407A.jpg
All that is left on March 2, 2010. The burnt tree in the middle is the same one as that on the left of the picture above.

HOLLY_ST_W_401-407B.jpg
This is the view from below. The building on the left is 411 W Holly St.  3/2/2010

HOLLY_ST_W_401-411A
401-411 W Holly St. plus the un-numbered two store fronts on the right. 5/2/2009

HOLLY_ST_W_401-411B
401-411 W Holly St. plus the un-numbered two store fronts on the right. 5/2/2009
Return to [W Holly St index]

HOLLY_ST_W_411A.jpg
The left hand store of the grey building is 411 W Holly St. 5/2/2009
411-415 W Holly St was built in 1907 and was originally a three-story wood frame building. It was known as the Surprise Store in the 1920s. The upper two floors were heavily damaged by fire and the remains removed. The Salvation Army occupied the building until the 1960s and it has since been occupied only sporadically. (Turbeville, 1977, pp.195-196.)

409 W. Holly:  1965 1970 1975 1980 1985 1989-90 1995 Not listed

411 W. Holly:  1965 Bargain House, used merchandise 1970 Not listed 1975 John Pace, used merchandise 1980 1985 1989-90 1995 Not listed

HOLLY_ST_W_411B.jpg
The left hand store of the grey building is 411 W Holly St. 5/2/2009

HOLLY_ST_W_411F.jpg
March 2, 2010.  411 W Holly St after the fire.

HOLLY_ST_W_411D.jpg
March 2, 2010.  View from the west.

Return to [W Holly St index]
The following building is listed in the Historic Resources list of the City Center Design Standards:

13. Van Kirk Building         (Old Town Antique Mall, built 1908)

427 W. Holly St  
The long-tenured business at this location, 1911-1961, was Thal Brothers Furniture and Second-Hand Goods.  Begun by S.L. and Max Thal in 1911, continued by Max and Louis Thal in 1931, and finally, Myer E. Thal, when the business closed in 1961.  
        A short tenure at this location was Gorsich’s Funiture (Albert F. and Mrs. Olive Gorsich) in 1962, and in 1963 and 1964, the location was listed as vacant. (Helgoe, 2012)

1965 Vacant    1970 1975 1980 1985 1989-90 Salvation Army Thrift Shop   1995 Aladdin’s Lamp Antique Mall

Link to description in Wisaard of 427 W Holly.
HOLLY_ST_W_427
427 West Holly St.   4/8/2009
Return to [W Holly St index]

HOLLY_ST_W_435A.jpg
435 W Holly St. is the grey building on the right.  9/1/2009

HOLLY_ST_W_435B
435 W Holly St.  Built 1933.    9/1/2009
431-435 W. Holly   
Over the years, a series of small businesses has occupied this building.  The first identifiable businesses were in 1931 with Elvira Wright, barber, at 431 and Leo Rischard, confectioner, in 435.  The 433 location was vacant at this time.  
        In 1932, Enoch Hunter, barber, was at 431 and Claude L. Owen Restaurant now at 433.  Rischard’s confectionary remains at 435 but becomes a beer parlor in 1936 changes its name to Dick’s Tavern by 1945, but Rischard is still the owner through the next several years.  
        431 and 433 W. Holly contains a radio repair shop, grocery store, restaurant, used clothing store, cabinet shop and another barber shop through the succeeding years. (Helgoe, 2012)

431 W. Holly:  1965 Vacant    1970 1975 1980 1985 House of Treasures, general merchandise, used    1989-90 Vacant     1995 Dyson Baidarka & Co, kayak builders

433 W. Holly:  1965 U&I Barber Shop    1970 Vacant      1975 Dick’s Tavern (annex)    1980 1985 1989-90 1995 Not listed

435 W. Holly:  1965-1970 1975 1980 1985 1989-90 Dick’s Tavern    1995 Dyson Baidarka & Co, kayak builders (additional space—see also 431)

Link to description in Wisaard of 431-35 W Holly.

Return to [W Holly St index] or go on to  500 block