Note: Questions marked by an asterisk are based on supplemental material that
goes beyond the scope of the American College of Sports Medicine guide-
ADDITIONAL SAMPLE PROBLEMS
1. What would be the V02 in ml-min-' kg-' for a 80-kg man to walk at 3.0 mph and 5% grade?
2. What would be the approximate caloric energy expenditure of a 90-kg person walking 2.5
mph on a treadmill up a 6% grade for 30 minutes?
3. What would be the MET level for a 85-kg person walking on a treadmill at 3.7 mph and 5%
4. What is the V02 requirement of treadmill walking at 2.8 mph, 6% grade?
5. What is the energy requirement in ME-Fs for a client who is walking 3.9 mph?
6. A patient with cardiac disease cannot exceed 2 mph on the treadmill but needs to exercise
at 8.0 METS. What percentage grade do you set?
7. A client cannot exercise above a MEF level of 5.2. You must prescribe a walking program as-
suming 5% grade. At what speed would the client walk?
8. Your 150-lb client is walking on a treadmill at 3.0 mph up a 3% grade for 30 minutes, 3
times per week. Assuming a constant caloric intake, how long must your client exercise to
lose 10 lb of fat with this exercise prescription?
9. Your 68-kg client is walking on a treadmill at 3.7 mph up a 1 0% grade. What is the total
amount of oxygen in liters that your client will consume over 1 hour?
1 0. Your 48-kg client has a V02max of 2.4 L-min-1. You want him to exercise to 75% of his
V02max. Assuming the treadmill is set at a 12% grade, what walking speed would you set?
11. Calculate the V02 in L-min-1 for a 90-kg client who runs on a treadmill at 7 mph up a 3% in-
12. Running on a treadmill at 6 mph and 1 0% grade requires what MET level?
13. Running outdoors at 9 mph elicits what V02 in ml-min-' kg-'?
14. What is the MET cost of running on a treadmill at 5.2 mph and 15% grade?
15. Your client weighs 250 lb. You want him to burn 0.5 lb of fat each week from exercise. He
plans to run outdoors 4 times a week at 9 mph. How long should he run each day?
16. Your client has a functional capacity of 1 1 METS. You want him to train at 80% of his func-
tional capacity. He will be running on a treadmill at 4 mph. What grade should be used?
17. A 60-kg woman is running on a treadmill at 1 0 mph and 5% grade. What is her energy ex-
penditure in kcal-min-'?
18. A friend of yours has finished a 5-mile race in 30 minutes and 18 seconds. What was his
V02 during the race in ml-min-'.kg-'?
19. If your friend in the previous question had to climb a 6% grade hill outdoors, how much
would your friend have to slow down? (Assume the same V02)
20. Your client has a V02max of 70 ml-min-' kg-'. You want him to exercise at 85% of his
V02max on a treadmill. If the speed is 7.5 mph, what percentage grade should be used?
21. A 90-kg client is exercising on a stationary bike at 1500 kg-m-min-1. What is his estimated
V02 in ml-min-'.kg-l?
22. A 75-kg friend of yours is exercising on a stationary bike at 900 kg.min-' -kg-'. How many
kilocalories would he expend over 60 minutes?
23. A 70-kg client is exercising on a stationary bike at 200 watts. What is his estimated V02 in
24. What workload in kg-m-min-1 should be prescribed if you want your 91 -kg client to exercise
at 6.0 kcal-min-I on a stationary bike?
25. You want your 1 1 0-kg friend to exercise at 75% of his 5.0 L-min-I capacity on a Monark
bike. If he pedals at 80 rpm, what resistance setting is needed?
26. You want your 70-kg client to exercise at 12 MErs on a Tunturi bike. If she pedals at 80
rpm, what resistance setting is needed?
27. A 90-kg individual is arm cranking on a Monark leg ergometer at 800 kg.m-min-1. What is
the V02 in ml-min-' -kg-'?
28. Consider the same individual described above, only this time the workload is 50 watts.
What is the V02 in L-min-'?
29. A 50-kg cardiopulmonary patient is arm cranking on a Monark arm ergometer at 50 rpm
with a resistance setting of 0.5 kg. What is the V02 in ml-min-'.kg-'?
30. You want your 70-kg client to burn 3500 kcal per week on a stationary bike. If she exer-
cises at 1000 kg-m-min-1, how many hours per week must she exercise?
31. What is the V02 in ml-min-' kg-' for stepping on a 12-inch step at a rate of 20 steps per
32. What is the V02 in liters per minute for your 90-kg client who uses a 20-inch step at a rate
of 35 steps per minute?
33. Your 70-kg friend is stepping up a 1 0-inch step at 40 steps per minute. What is her energy
expenditure in kcal-min-'?
34. You teach a step aerobics class that uses 3-inch stepping platforms that can be added on
top of each other. Your music has a beat set at 140 bpm. You plan to have your class step
35 steps per minute. Assume that the average individual ME-F capacity is 1 1 ME-Fs. How
many step platforms should they use to exercise at 85% of their capacity?
35. You want your 90-kg client to exercise at 1.6 L-min-I while stepping on a 15-inch bench. At
what rate would you set the metronome?
*36. Your client is exercising at level 8 on a Stairmaster. What is the V02 in ml-min-l-kg-'?
*37. You want your client to exercise at 70% of his 50 ml-min-'.kg-1 capacity. What setting on
the Stairmaster would you use?
*38. Your 70-kg client exercised for 30 minutes on a Concept 11 rower at an average power of
150 watts. How many kilocalories did he burn?
*39. Your 90-kg client has a peak V02 during arm exercise of 30 ml-min-' -kg-'. At what level on
a Schwinn Airdyne should he exercise to achieve 75% of this?
*40. You, want your 60-kg client to exercise at 8 M ETs. At what speed should he ride his bicycle
41. You have a 30-year-old client who wants to exercise at 75% of his functional capacity. His
resting HR is 70 bpm. What is his target HR using the percentage HRR method?
42. Your 80-year-old client has a maximum HR of 120 bpm and a resting HR of 82 bpm. What
would be his target HR at 45% Of V02max using the percentage HRR method?
43. Your 20-year-old friend has a resting HR of 60 bpm. What would be her target HR at 85%
Of V02max using the percentage HRR method?
*44. You want your 70-year-old client to exercise at 70% Of V02Max. Using Table 6.1 and the
percentage HRmax method, what would be his target HR?
*45. During an aerobic training session, how many beats in 10 seconds should your client obtain
if he wants to maintain his workout at 80% Of V02max? Your client is 22 years old. Use Ta-
ble 6.1 and the percentage HRmax method.
*46. Your 70-kg client completes 9 minutes and 15 seconds on the Bruce protocol treadmill
test. What is the V02max in L-min-'?
*47. A 45-year-old, 90-kg man completes the 195-watts stage of the Storer cycling protocol.
What is his V02max in ml-min-' -kg-'?
*48. Your 52-year-old, 75-kg male client completes a 1 mile walk in 20 minutes and 17 seconds,
with a post-walk HR of 130 bpm. What is his V02max in ml-min-' -kg-'?
49. Your 40-year-old, 70-kg male client performs an Astrand bike test. His average HR for the
fifth and sixth minute at 750 kg-m-min-1 is 160 bpm. What is his V02Max in ml-min-' -kg-'?
50. Your 30-year-old, 90-kg client performs a submaximal bike test. His HRs at the end of each
stage are 115 bpm at 150 kg.m.min-1, 130 at 300 kg.m.min-1, and 150 at 450 kg.m.min-1.
What is his V02max in ml-min-'.kg-'?